Earthquake Tonga Erdbeben 04.05.06

Astrid & MArtin haben über 1 Jahr auf Tonga im Südpazifik gelebt, Moderator mahimahi wohnt auf Tongatapu...
Hier beantworten sie Fragen zu 'Eua, Ha'apai, Vava'u und Tongatapu, die über das bereits unter www.worldtrip.de/Tonga/tonga.html Geschriebene hinausgehen.
Forumsregeln
Königreich Tonga- Infopool: Hier bitte wie in den anderen Info-Bereichen suchfreundlich gem. 1F-1T fragen und in Antworten auch beim Thema bleiben. Für neue Frafen oder Infos bitte neue Themen erstellen. Dadurch hilfst Du, das Tongaforum für alle recherchierbar, ergänzbar und aktualisierbar zu erhalten. Danke
MArtin
Site Admin

Earthquake Tonga Erdbeben 04.05.06

Ungelesener Beitrag von MArtin »

Hallo,
nicht Genaues wissen wir nicht - aber es scheint ein massives Erdbeben auf Tonga gegeben zu haben.
Wir hoffen, allen Mods und tonganischen Freunden geht es gut - und warten auf Neuigkeiten aus dem Königreich

Liebe Grüße, alles Gute!

Astrid &

Re: Erdbeben auf Tonga

Ungelesener Beitrag von ........... »

keine tsunami warnung mehr.
http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/wmsg
Stefan81
WRF-Spezialist

Erdbeben auf Tonga

Ungelesener Beitrag von Stefan81 »

Warnung aufgehoben, scheinbar "geringe" Schäden auf Tonga...
http://derstandard.at/?id=2434145
Frangipani
Aktives WRF-Mitglied

Erdbeben auf Tonga

Ungelesener Beitrag von Frangipani »

Hallo zusammen

Hier in Vavau haben alle das doch sehr schwere Erdbeben gut überstanden. In Nukualofa hat sich ein Mann bei einem Sprung aus dem Hotelzimmer aus dem 2. Stock verletzt. In Hapai wurden das Spital und die wharf beschädigt. Momentan haben wir sehr viele (bis jetzt 11 ) kleinere Nachbeben zwischen 4.8 und 6.0. Hoffentlich kommt kein wirklich Grosses mehr, denn was mich wirklich beängstigt, ist die Tatsache, das die Tsunamiwarnung - welche später wieder gecancelt wurde - Tonga nie erreicht hat. In NZ und Fiji wurden Leute evakuiert - nur im Epizentrum Tonga hat man geschlafen!

Liebe Grüsse aus Vava'u

frangipani
Frangipani
Aktives WRF-Mitglied

Erdbeben auf Tonga

Ungelesener Beitrag von Frangipani »

Wers interessiert kann die Erdbeben mittels folgendem Link
verfolgen:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rec ... es_all.php

Liebe Grüsse

Frangipani
MArtin
Site Admin

Erdbeben im Königreich Tonga 04.05.2006

Ungelesener Beitrag von MArtin »

Scheint ja nochmals gut gegangen zu sein. 8)

Aber Sorgen hatten wir uns gemacht und ein paar Freunde angeschrieben:

"Malo e lelei to all,

yesterday the striking news of an earthquake south of Neiafu reached us here on Barbados.
People who had only heard about Tonga from us and knew about our special relationship to Tonga came over to our house to inform us about the disaster and a possible tsunami sweeping away flat islands like Ha’apai.

Fortunately the worst case scenario didn’t seem to happen – but we are very concerned of your whereabouts and would like to be sure that you are alright.

So we would be glad to receive just a short message from you saying that you survived and that we don’t have to worry.
If anyone wants to give a short update you’re more than welcome to post it at http://reise-forum.weltreiseforum.de/vi ... php?t=6692 where we gather news for possible tourists and travellers to Tonga. It’s the thread about the earthquake on Tonga in the biggest Tonga Forum in Germany, where people wait to hear news (no matter if they are in English, German or Tongan language ;)).

Lots of love, ‘ofa lahi atu from the other side of the world

all the best
Astrid & MArtin"

... und bislang folgende, sehr beruhigend klingende Antworten bekommen:

Von Hauptinsel Tongatapu:
hello,
i'm sorry i log on to the website you send but its on a different language that i can't read, so i'll just tell you a little bit about what i experienced.

around 4am or 4:30am on May 4th, a sudden movement shook the house and it was so big that i can never imagine in my whole life. it shook for a long time and all my stuff that was on the shelf fell off. the light went off and the phone line as well.

on the same day, there was an announcement on the tv that there was a tsunami approaching and they say that it was cancelled cos it died out in the ocean. i think that's all i got to say about the earthquake.
Hi,

Thanks for your interest and concern.

The Event:
TONGANS were shaken awake at 4:26 Thursday morning as a "MAJOR" earthquake, possibly Tonga's largest on record, shook the capital, where one terrified hotel guest was hospitalised after jumping off his second floor hotel balcony during the quake.
(Chas and his mates, as kids, used to do the same jump targeting the hotel swimming-pool instead of the pavement alongside).

The magnitude 7.9 event shook buildings for over a minute, causing stock to fall from supermarket shelves, glass to break and bookshelves to tumble. Some buildings and wharfs were cracked including major damage to the Ha'apai Hospital. Electrical flashes from power poles were seen before the electrical power grid shut down in the middle of the quake leaving frightened residents in the dark. Power was not fully restored till late in the afternoon.
There was another Magnitude 5.4 aftershock at 6:56 am, and another of Magnitude 5.1 at 8:28 am. all with their epicentres east of Ha'apai.
The general concern was over the tsunami warning, in the light of the huge publicity received by the terrible occurrences in South West Asia in the recent past.
Surrounding islands, including Fiji and New Zealand were put on a tsunami alert however only a half meter wave was recorded in places.

Our Story:
We had a rude awakening, after a late night, in the early hours of Thursday morning. Our bedroom, being upstairs, was swaying violently. It is unusual for us ( with the house floating on sand) to feel any tremors so we weren't immediately sure what was going on. In a semi-stupor (my usual state for that time of morning) Chris and I quickly made our way down stairs and out the back door. The light we had turned on to see our way flickered off as soon as we made it outside, leaving us in complete darkness and rotating wildly on our wobbly legs. Chris surfed the septic tank, finding it more stable than the lawn, till the slooshing began to smell. After things settled down (the longest and wildest experienced by us) it became apparent that she wasn't in the same stupor as I was and had managed to dress along the way. I was standing there naked and still waiting for everything to stop swaying. Another ten minutes later, trying to adjust our eyes to the dark, we could hear a one foot swell continuing to crash inside the rainwater tanks.
A friends swimming pool emptied itself onto their yard, flooding the veggie garden.
There was no damage to our house or the accommodation bungalows or our shop- not a crack, though the floor was littered with toppled wood carvings. No glasses out of the cabinet, unlike others in town who lost all off their shelves.
The previously condemned multi storey "Uata Building" in town, which had more recently been renovated by some Chinese entrepreneurs, split asunder and spilled cement render onto the footpath. A fate which will most likely be found common amongst other such structures.
Motto here seems to be "build on the sand and not upon the rock".

Story of Hino and the Pig:
Old Hino, the grandfather of Mafi the girl who works for us, woke to the shaking of his house. Thinking it was a pig rubbing up against the building he banged on the wall yelling "alu" at his poaka then promptly went back to sleep.

So no real drama, no relief fund required, Tonga has survived what elsewhere may have been something of a disaster.
I'm keen however to see if all the scenic cliffs, arches and caves have remained unscathed. The limestone caves especially, to see how safe they are to spend any length of time in, as they're a favourite haunt.

Cheers and "rock on",

Dear Astrid, dear Maartin!

Thanks for your mail and concerns. Seems that a great number of people worried about small Tonga.
Yes, it was a shock in the early morning hours of the Chrown Prince's 58th Birthday. Thanks to the many mobile phones in Tonga, the first calls overseas were made even during the quake.

My guess was: it must have been somewhere between 6.5 and 7, but it was just too long. Every second seemed to be a whole minute. Our old house on poles moved like a boat. Everyone has stories to tell, especially those who live upstairs or near the ocean. Thanks God, no big damages, nobody got hurt. On Fafa Isl. the tide was low at that time, but suddenly (according to Rainer) the sea changed to the level of high-tide and then back to normal.

Personally, I don't think Tsunami's can hit Tonga because of our surrounding reefs. But my concern are the man-made destructions of our reefs and sand-banks "thanks" to the five life fish and coral exporting companies. They are allowed to harvest up to 500,000 tons of coral rock each year. Two companies have started sand-dregging businesses, removing ocean sand and whole sand-banks. USP / Suva Fiji has all the details.

To top the exitement of the day, in the evening we had HAIL. Something I have never seen in Tonga. But it lasted only for half a minute or so. It should be much colder right now, but the long hot and humid summer does not want to end. Even early this morning, after the ice ponding the iron-roof last night, we had 28 Degrees C outside.

Well, thanks to everybody who had worried about us here in Tonga. May God bless you all and keep everyone save from any kind of disasters, accidents and illnesses!
'ofa lahi atu from Tonga
Hallo an alle euch Lieben,
Gleich als erstes "Entwarnung" - uns geht's gut!
Na, das war ja ne ziemlich unterbrochene Nachtruhe. Erst weckt mich um viertel nach vier das bloede Erdbeben und jagt mir eine verflixte Angst ein (sogar Sandy ist beunruhigt aufgestanden und hat mich angeguckt) - dann kann ich natuerlich erstmal nicht wieder einschlafen (hab erst so gegen halb sieben die Augen wieder zugemacht) - und schliesslich weckt mich mein besorgter Goettergatte von Deutschland aus so kurz vor acht mit der Nachricht, dass, wenn Tonga pfurzt, es schon kurze Zeit spaeter in den deutschen Nachrichten ist. (Das nenn ich Kommunikationsgeschwindigkeit!)

So, aber Spass beiseite: Ich muss wohl schon bei einem der ersten Rumpler aufgewacht sein. Es hat bestimmt fast 5 Minuten gedauert (vielleicht kam mir das auch bloss so vor - in so einer Situation guckt man wohl nicht auf die Uhr). Erst hab ich noch gedacht "ach nee - sch... Gerumpel". Aber das hoerte und hoerte einfach nicht wieder auf ... und dann fing mit einem mal der Boden an, sich in Wellen zu bewegen (jedenfalls fuehlte es sich so an) und alles hat angefangen zu klappern und zu scheppern. Ich konnte auch hoeren, dass einiges um- oder runterfiel ... da hab ich es dann wirklich mit der Angst bekommen. Ich hab kurz ueberlegt, was ich machen soll. Klarer Fall: Gar nix! Also hab ich mir die Bettdecke ueber den Kopp gezogen und gehofft, dass das schnell wieder aufhoert und das Haus nicht zusammenbricht. Mit der vorletzten Welle (es muessen so um die 8-10 gewesen sein) fiel dann der Strom aus (piep piep piep von der UPS) - und dann war der Spuk urploetzlich vorbei. PUH!

Ich hab dann erstmal nach der Taschenlampe gegrabbelt. Dann hab ich Sandy gestreichelt und beruhigend auf sie eingemurmelt. Sie war aber schon wieder ziemlich gelassen. Als naechstes das nervige Gepiepse von der UPS abgestellt. Tja, und dann hab ich mich auf die Runde gemacht, um zu gucken, wie es im Haus aussieht.

Wie gesagt: Viel ist nicht passiert. Die oberere Reihe Karl May hat sich etwas verschoben, ist aber oben geblieben. Eins von den aussortierten Buechern, die ich weggeben will, war runtergefallen. Das hohe Dreieckregal, wo ich meine Kochbuecher drin hab, ist auf Wanderschaft gegangen - hat sich fast 10 cm von der Wand in den Gang reinbewegt. Aber runtergefallen ist dabei witzigerweise gar nix. In den Vitrinen sind ein paar Glaeser umgekippt aber heil geblieben, der Holzdelphin ist von der Fensterbank gepurzelt, im hohen Kuechenschrank sind ein paar Vasen umgekippt und die Muschel, in der die Stahlseife liegt, ist in die Spuehle gekullert; der Klappstuhl hinter der Buerotuer ist umgefallen und ein paar Musikkassetten sind oben vom CD-Regal an der Wand geflogen.
Nur die gruene Kontorlampe, die ich auf das schwarze Metall CD Regal im Buero gestellt hatte, ist runtergeflogen und der Glasschirm ist nun im Eimer. Ich denke mal, das kann man nun wirklich verschmerzen.

Anschliessend bin ich dann mit Taschenlampe bewaffnet nach draussen, um da mal kurz rumzugucken. Aber draussen war alles in Ordnung. Nachbar G. hat's natuerlich auch rausgerissen. War doch etwas erschuettert, der Gute (verstaendlich). Haben ein kurzes Plaeuschchen uebern Gartenzaun gehalten. Bei ihm ist auch nix passiert. Nur Taco, so gross wie sie ist, wollte auf den Schoss (grins)

Der Strom war uebrigens erstaunlicherweise schon nach etwa einer Stunde wieder da. Ich haette wirklich damit gerechnet, dass das laenger dauern wuerde.

Inzwischen hab ich mal bei Yahoo reingeguckt. 160 km nordoestlich von Nuku'alofa soll das gewesen sein. Das ist ja wohl so auf halber Strecke zwischen hier und Ha'apai. Staerke 8.1 - so hat sich das auch angefuehlt. Ich hab noch gedacht "Mensch, das ist doch bestimmt so um die 8 rum". Hatte ich also recht mit. Aber die Tsunami Warnung ist wohl schon wieder abgesagt - jedenfalls nach einer Meldung in Yahoo von 20:15 h deutsche Zeit.

Angeblich sollen in Nuku'alofa einige Schaeden entstanden sein. Werd ich wohl morgen sehen, wenn ich eh wieder in die Stadt fahre. Nur zum Schadengucken fahr ich nicht nach Nuku'alofa rein.

Das waren die neuesten Nachrichten aus dem Erdbebengebiet. Wir sind zwar erschuettert aber ansonsten wohlauf!

So, und jetzt werd ich hier erstmal fruehstuecken - mir knurrt der Magen.

Liebe Gruesse aus dem offensichtlich doch nicht ganz ungefaehrlichen Tonga
Hallo,
alles klar in Tonga. Just shaken - not stirred...
Hi Astrid and Martin.
Thank you for your message and your concern for us.The only problem was the power going off until this morning.Maybe the earthquake got the name Tonga heard arround the world.
We are all doing fine.A few tourist still passing through Nukualofa and island tours most days.Not so many Germans these days.
Hope all keeps good for you...
Dear Martin and Astrid
Everything’s fine here but thank you for your concern...

Aus Vava'u:
http://geofon.gfz-potsdam.de/db/eqinfo.php

http://www.seismologie.bgr.de/www/sdac/ ... r_list.htm

es war grausig, aber wenig schaden, nur in nukualofa sind ein paar kirchtürme runtergedonnert. es hat sehr lange gedauert und war entsetzlich, das haus hat getanzt und viel ist zerschlagen worden, aber nichts lebenswichtiges. es ist niemnand zu schaden gekommen. ich melde mich bald mal. es sind reichlich nachbeben, siehe links. an dem vulkan latte löst sich bimstein und treibt im meer, wir machen uns auf noch mehr gefasst.
tschö....
Hallo Astrid & Martin,
oh boy, das war das staerkste Erdbeben ( ca. 8 *** ) welches wir hier hatten. Dafuer hat es wenig Schaeden gegeben, Salote's Wassertank ist geplatzt, am Ano Beach hat es einen kleinen Erdrutsch gegeben und bei uns im Geschaeft sind aus einem Regal fast ALLE Glaeser mit Dioden und Lugs und Gluehbirnen herausgefallen und ein oder zwei kaputt. Also alles im gruenen Bereich. Auf dem Boot war es sicher, aber sehr unruhig, das Boot wude wie von einer Riesenfaust durchgeschuettelt, das Wasser plaetscherte auf eine unuebliche Art am Ufer und dann gab es einen hellen Blitz an Land und dann wurde alles dunkel...... muss eine von der Powerline heruntergekommen sein. Nun ist die Power wieder da und auch das Telefonsystem geht wieder. Das Erdbeben hat ungewoehnlich lange gedauert, etwa 2 Minuten oder mehr, ich wurde durch die Ruettelbewegungen des Bootes geweckt. Die """ Tsunami """ war nur eine kleine Welle von etwa einem halben Meter, aber bei Late Island schwimmen sehr viele Vulkansteine herum, das Epizentrum war unter Wasser etwa 50 sm von hier bei Ha'apai. Das waers in Kuerze, viele liebe Gruesse...
Hi Astrid and Martin,

Thanks for the email and thank you for being concerned.

Sorry about not replying, we had so many problems with our server and that was before the earth-quake, TCC decided to update the phone system and instead they knocked out over 100 phones, our phone has been down for 3 weeks now and I’m getting really angry with them. Email was on, off, on, off, nothing but another head-ache.

Now for the earth-quake what a shaker that was, we were staying at the Paradise because we had no water up at the house, (yes another problem) for over a week and I was so tired of trying to shower with 2 litre bottles of water, anyway it was quite bad but I wasn’t scared but I think if we were in our house I think I would have been scared because our house is not as strong as the Paradise building.

We are all OK, we lost quite a few of our wedding gifts but that’s OK, no buildings fall over, but Tongatapu was hit the worse they had 2 after shocks after the main earth-quake, they had 1 casualty a tourist he panic and jumped out of the window from Pacific Royale from the 3rd floor, he’s still in hospital. We’ve had a couple of small earth-quakes too but you had to be sitting still to feel anything, other than that everyone in Vava’u is fine.

Once again thank you for being concerned and hope to see in Vava’u again.

Cheers,

Soweit so gut zum Glück...

Liebe Grüße :)
mahimahi
WRF-Moderator

Erdbeben auf Tonga

Ungelesener Beitrag von mahimahi »

ja - alles OK hier (bis auf die bereits beschriebenen sachschäden und dem koreanischen fenstersturz - der mann hatte schon mal schlechte erfahrungen mit erdbeben gemacht).
Ich persönlich fand es eine einzigartige erfahrung... etwas gruselig, aber auch faszinierend. Zum glück ist ja nix drastisches passiert...
und statistisch haben wir jetzt für die nächsten 15 jahre ruhe *lächel*